Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Life through different lenses

Being understood is such a gift. It is easy for me to want to claim it as a right but truly it is a gift.  
So often I have thought I have understood when really I have not. I remember when I was single and thinking I understood what it meant to be married and then when I was married thinking I understood a bit of raising kids and then when I had one child I thought I understood children to some degree.  When I traveled overseas thinking I understood what it was like to live overseas.  The list could go on. 

Living in Turkey has disrobed me of many things.  One main thing is how much I wear my cultural glasses.Trying to explain my life here is like a study in anthropology I am immersed in the culture, tradition, religion and langauge of a people that see life through different glasses.  I have the privilege to take off my glasses for a time and see life through a new lens. Sometime the sights I see are literally amazing and refreshing and some make me uncomfortable and desirous of my own glasses again. I am so grateful for my friendships here in this culture who have taken the time and patience to help me see life differently, who have embraced me and taught me that a cup of tea takes time. 

 God has strategically placed friends in my life who really do understand. 
What a gift to be understood.  The best is when you barely have to say anything and you both just get it.





Thanks for living this life with me. We have held up and challenged each other. Our weaknesses and strengths have balanced each other out. Thanks for understanding what it feels like to be split down the middle.  To love your own culture but feel tied to another. For living the Kingdom life and being ruined for anything else.

from my west corner 
Becky


"I HAVE LEARNED THE SECRET OF BEING CONTENT IN ANY AND EVERY SITUATION, WHETHER WELL FED OR HUNGRY, WHETHER LIVING IN PLENTY OR IN WANT. I CAN DO EVERYTHING THROUGH HIM WHO GIVES ME STRENGTH." PHIL. 4:12,13

4 comments:

Jill said...

What a lovely and thought provoking post! I don't think you can ever truly understand something until you experience it for yourself! And people will always see the same things and situations in different ways - that's what makes life so interesting! I'm lucky enough to have lived in several different countries and seen things through many different lenses! The World is a wonderful place full of excitement and adventure - thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Jill @ Creating my way to Success
http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

lauren said...

beautiful post becky! although, i couldn't help smiling b/c wasn't that a quotable quote from mobile team: "I'm so misunderstood!" :)

Consuelo said...

It's been an honor to have you for my friend here in Turkey and an honor to think I am someone you feel understood by. In my own challenges of 'being understood" I've always found comfort in being able to hash those things out with you too. Thanks friend.

Creatively Content said...

Thank you sweet ladies for your comments and care. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...